China and Thailand
Aug. 29-Sept. 9, 2011
Presented by Maine International Trade Center and Food Export USA
Opportunities for Maine companies
As the lifestyle of the Thai people becomes more hectic with less time spent at home, food service has become a more convenient and time-saving alternative to meals prepared at home. The variety of food service products is increasing in response to rising consumer demand.
Over the past two decades, the Chinese food service market has been the fastest growing food service market in the world. Despite the global financial crisis, the Chinese food service market has experienced double-digit growth.
Hong Kong is home to more than seven million people and enjoys a growing and competitive seafood market, with a total value of $2.68 billion of imported fish and seafood products in 2009. The U.S. has a strong competitive edge due to Hong Kong consumers’ postive view of U.S. seafood safety. In 2010, U.S. exports of fish products to China and Hong Kong totaled a new record of more than $828 million - up more than 24% from 2009.
- Customized One-on-One Business Appointments: One-on-one meetings with importers and distributors in East Asia, based on your company’s market objectives, pre-arranged by the U.S. Commercial Service.
- In-Country Market Research: Industry specialists will conduct market research on your industry and market needs.
- Pre-Mission Preparation Seminar: Review current market research, gain an understanding of the East Asian culture, learn what it takes to sign a contract, and develop a strategic plan for follow up with East Asia business partners.
- Market Briefings: Take the opportunity to learn more about current economic and political conditions in East Asia, as well as important cultural and social practices.
- Receptions and Chef Demonstrations/Product Showcases: Business leaders, dignitaries, and potential business partners will be invited to these functions. These events provide an excellent forum to strengthen relationships with your trading partners and trade associations.
Trade Mission locations
The food industry trade mission will take place in three locations: Thailand, Mainland China, and Hong Kong, China. Companies have the opportunity to participate in one, two, or all three locations. In addition, companies in the food service industry and seafood industry will have specialized industry-specific tracks during the mission. Seafood industry participants also have the opportunity to exhibit at the Asian Seafood Exposition in Hong Kong.
Monday, August 29
Departure from Maine - Travel day; Check into hotel - August 30
Wednesday, August 31 - Thursday, September 1
Bangkok, Thailand - One-on-one meetings; Cooking demonstrations; Reception; Product showcase; Retail tours
Friday, September 2 - Saturday, September 3
Shanghai, China - One-on-one meetings; Chef demonstrations; Reception; Product showcase; Seafood market tour
Sunday, September 4 - Monday, September 5
Hangzhou, China - One-on-one meetings; Product showcase; Market tours
Tuesday, September 6 - Thursday, September 8
Hong Kong, China - Asian Seafood Exposition; Restaurant $ Bar Show; One-on-one meetings; Reception; Chef demonstrations; Product showcase; Market tours
Friday, September 9
Departure - Return to Maine
Focused Trade Mission for Food Service
- Early Registration Fee: $400 (one location)
- Registration Fee: $600 (one location)
- Additional Second Location Fee: $125 (Deadline - June 3, 2011)
- Additional Third Location Fee: $125 (Deadline - July 8, 2011)
Food Show Plus! at Asian Seafood Exposition
Early Registration Fee: $200 (Deadline - June 14, 2011)
Registration Fee: $300 (Deadline - July 12, 2011)
- Mission & meeting coordination
- Networking events
- Business appointments
- Chef demonstrations
- Product showcases
- Market tours
- Post-mission trade assistance
- Hotel accommodations
- Meals (unless otherwise specified)
- Incidental expenditures (including transportation to business meetings)
- Air freight of promotional materials
- Travel insurance
You can slash the costs of international travel expenses through the Branded Program. You might be eligible for up to 50% reimbursement on travel (i.e. airfare, hotel, meal per diem, exhibit expenses) related to this activity.